Rampant data breaches, affecting millions upon millions of records, are putting consumers at great risk of identity theft. It can happen to anyone—regardless of your age and income, where you live, or how careful you are.
Restoring your identity on your own can be time-consuming and stressful. After a while, some people give up, leaving them to contend with the aftermath of identity theft for years to come, including fraudulent bills, collections activity, damaged credit and even criminal records.
DOLFCU is delighted to provide identity theft detection and recovery services as part of our checking accounts at no cost.
We have partnered with some of the nation’s most trusted names in identity theft protection to provide you with access to a comprehensive suite of services to address fraud caused by identity theft if it happens to you or your family member.
ID Theft Protection
General Identity Theft Protection Guidelines
Help keep your information safe by following the general guidelines listed below...
The best way to avoid becoming a victim of identity theft is to educate yourself on the threats and methods that criminals use to get your personal information. Stay informed and know what to do if your identity is stolen. For educational resources and materials, visit IdentityTheft.gov, the federal government’s one-stop resource to help you report and recover from identity theft.
Check your Credit History
Receive FREE annual credit reports from the three credit bureaus.
AnnualCreditReport.com allows you to request a free credit report, once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
Simple Tips to Avoid Fraud
- Sign your debit/credit cards as soon as they arrive & destroy expired cards. Keep a list of credit card numbers & expiration dates in a safe place.
- When shopping online, stay with merchants you know & trust. Print & save order confirmations.
- Save receipts & check statements of your online accounts frequently to verify transactions.
- Don't give out or write down passwords & PIN numbers.
- Practice safety at ATMs. Always take your receipt with you.
- Report questionable charges promptly & monitor your credit report.
- Notify the post office if you do not receive your statement in the mail.
- Don't give information over the phone unless you know the company is trustworthy.
- Report lost/stolen cards immediately.
For other helpful information on the latest in Fighting Identity Theft, visit CU*Secure.
At DOLFCU, we're doing our part to make certain your accounts are safe and secure. We restrict access to nonpublic personal information about you to those employees who need to know that information to provide you products or services. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to guard your nonpublic personal information.
Enable the Card Control Feature within your DOLFCU App
You can now manage your credit and debit cards from the DOLFCU mobile app.
Once your mobile app is updated, the Card Controls feature will be available. Select Manage My Cards from the "More" menu. (You will be required to login to your account.)
Click "Get Started" to enable this feature. Once you are on the Manage My Cards screen, you will see your cards. Select a card to see recent activity and temporarily lock/unlock your cards.
Locking Credit or Debit Cards
From the Card Summary screen, you can temporarily lock your credit and debit cards associated with an account. This process will be identical for
credit and debit cards.
Temporarily locking your account prevents new purchases but does not cancel your card. Before locking, note the following:
- If you lost your card, report it stolen (see contact numbers below)
- Your account number will not change
- Continue to pay your bill and manage your account
When you successfully lock your card, you will be able to see the locked status with a red lock icon. If you locate your card and want to reactivate it, you can return here to do so.
The locked status will be shown on both the Card Summary and Manage Cards screens.
If you lose your card or have it stolen, you must call to request having it canceled. A menu option will populate with the correct phone numbers to call depending on what type of card you have. You may also refer to the following list of contacts:
During business hours, report a lost/stolen card:
After-hours & weekends report, a lost/stolen card:
When traveling internationally, report a lost/stolen card:
To report fraud or dispute a transaction:
Note: Any card that is cancelled will no longer appear in your Card Control feature.
ID Safe Choice
IDSafeChoice – the trusted name in Identity Theft Programs!
If you become a victim or suspect you might be a victim of identity fraud for any reason, simply let us know. You do not have to confirm identity fraud before seeking assistance. We will put you in touch with a professional Recovery Advocate who, depending on your identity fraud incident, will:
- Perform research to determine the extent of the problem, including a review of all three credit reports (if appropriate)
- Assist with the placement of fraud alerts with the three major credit bureaus
- Write letters/ make calls on your behalf to dispute fraudulent information
- Coordinate with government agencies, financial institutions, creditors, etc. to resolve incidents
- Work with law enforcement to help to arrest and prosecute the criminals
- Follow up for 12 months after recovery
This service covers all types of identity fraud, even if it is not related to your account(s) with DOLFCU! Types of identity fraud covered include: credit/debit card fraud, tax fraud, employment fraud, government documents and benefits fraud, medical fraud, and any other identity fraud recognized by the Federal Trade Commission. Plus, the identity fraud recovery service extends to cover up to 3 generations of your family members!
Terms and Conditions of Group Identity Theft Detection and Recovery Services
- Consumers who are eligible for the group identity theft detection and recovery service (“Services”) include all members of Department of Labor Federal Credit Union (“Group Member”). This is known as the “Eligibility Requirement”. Department of Labor Federal Credit Union is hereinafter referred to as the “Program Sponsor”.
- The Services are offered through a group services agreement (“Group Program”) with the Program Sponsor and the Service Provider and are extended to Group Members.
- Access to the Services (“Benefits Period”) begins when the Group Member first meets the Eligibility Requirement, and ends when the Group Member no longer meets the Eligibility Requirement or when Program Sponsor terminates the Group Program, whichever occurs first. You may find additional information about the Services at www.dolfcu.org.
- The Services provide professionals to manage the detection, investigation, and remediation of incidents of identity fraud caused by Identity Theft. “Identity Theft” is defined as fraud that involves the use of any combination of a Group Member’s name, address, date of birth, Social Security number, bank or credit/debit card account number, or other identifying information without the knowledge of the Group Member, and such information is used to commit fraud or other crimes. Only Identity Theft incidents that are discovered and reported to the Program Sponsor or the Service Provider during the Benefits Period will be covered by the Services.
- The Services may assist the Group Member in seeking reimbursement for funds stolen in the Identity Theft incident, and/or providing assistance for filing a claim for insurance, but do not provide a guarantee of reimbursement for financial losses of any kind arising from the Identity Theft incident.
- The Services are non-transferable and non-cancelable by the Group Member and have no cash equivalent. There is no fee for using the Services; however, the account or service to which the Eligibility Requirement is attached may have a fee, based on the provisions of the account/service agreement that the Group Member has with the Program Sponsor.
- Neither the Program Sponsor nor its contracted Service Provider can be held responsible for failure to provide or for delay in providing the Services when such failure or delay is caused by conditions beyond the control of the Program Sponsor and its Service Provider.
- The successful completion of the Services described herein depends on the cooperation of the Group Member. The Services may be refused or terminated if it is deemed that the Group Member is committing fraud or other illegal acts, making untrue statements, or failing to perform his/her responsibilities as part of the Services, or has obtained the Services knowingly without meeting the Eligibility Requirement. The Services will not be refused or terminated due to the complexity of an identity theft case.
- THE SERVICES DO NOT INCLUDE CREDIT COUNSELING OR REPAIR TO CREDIT NOT AFFECTED BY FRAUD OR IDENTITY THEFT.
- The Services are only available to residents of the United States. The Services are performed with agencies and institutions in the United States, or territories where U.S. law applies.
- To access the Services, Eligible Consumers can contact the local branch office of their Program Sponsor.
- The Services are offered through an Agreement with NXG Strategies, LLC, www.nxgstrategies.com
Digital Defense – Training, Education and Awareness
Your online security is our highest priority. DOLFCU is committed to providing you with notifications, education, and access to useful information.
The Digital Defense Training Center has information about protecting your personal information from Identity Theft, Online Fraud, and other computer-related scams. DOLFCU members can read through the Digital Defense training courses and take an online quiz. Earn your Digital Defense Certificate of Achievement as you become an expert in:
- Online Shopping
- ATM Safety
- Banking Myths
- Home Firewalls
- Home Computer Tips
- Secure Transactions
- Online Fraud
- Trojans & Spyware
- Child Safety Online
- Wireless Security
- Old Computer Disposal
- Social Networking Online
- VoIP Security
- Social Media Dangers
- Mobile Device Security
- Identity Theft
Looking for more protection against identity theft?
All DOLFCU account holders may purchase an identity fraud package which includes services that may warn of possible identity theft. All packages include Fully Managed Recovery and Lost Document Replacement, plus other identity fraud detection and recovery benefits. Click here to see package options and to subscribe.
* Message and data rates may apply.